How To Replace The Battery On CS1 PLC
This article is a quick reference for replacing the CS1W-BAT01 backup battery on CS1, CS1-V1 and CS1-H series PLCs where the existing battery has become fully discharged and is showing "Battery Error". Full details including expected lifespans, protected areas and precautions can be found in the CS1 Operation Manual in Section 12-2.
||Do not use these instructions for other PLC models as they require different steps and may result in loss of data. Consult the correct Operation Manual for your model for the correct instructions.
- Ensure the power is turned ON for at least ten seconds. This is to fully charge the changeover capacitor which will ensure data is retained during this process.
- Turn OFF the power to the CPU Unit.
- Insert a small flat-blade screwdriver into the notch at the bottom of the battery compartment cover and lift open the cover:
- Remove the old battery from the compartment, but leave its connector connected:
- Check if the CPU has 1 or 2 battery connectors.
- With CPU Units that have two battery connectors, leave the old battery attached while connecting the new battery.
- With the old battery still connected, insert the new battery’s connector in the open connector in the CPU Unit. Be sure that the connector is inserted so that its red wire is at the top and the white wire is at the bottom.
- Unplug the old battery after the new battery is connected:
- With CPU Units that only have one battery connector:
- Note the colours of the old battery's connecting wires.
- Unplug the old battery first
- Quickly insert the new battery’s connector in the connector in the CPU Unit. Be sure that the connector is inserted so that its red wire is at the top and the white wire is at the bottom.
- Insert the new battery into the battery compartment with the cable and connector facing outward and close the cover:
- Power on the unit.
- Connect a Programming Device and verify that the Battery Error has been cleared.